Frequently Asked Questions

We get a lot of questions about the Yorkshire And Humberside Japanese School. This section aims to answer some of those questions.

What is the difference between a Japanese School and a Japanese supplementary school?

Japanese schools offer classes every day on a full-time basis. Japanese supplementary schools are for children living in a different country who attend local schools but would still like to keep up with the Japanese curriculum.

What is the biggest difference between an online Japanese school and your school?

Having face-to-face lessons has many advantages. Children feel more comfortable and learn more easily in a familiar, traditional classroom situation. Teachers can perform their job better as they can watch the children, and observe their body language, so they can step in when the children need help. The children also have the opportunity to connect with, problem-solve, and network with other students – an opportunity not available when learning online. This is great for children who learn better through cooperative activities and group work. Finally, a traditional classroom environment motivates students in a way that online lessons can’t. This is perhaps best demonstrated by where completion rates of teacher-led classes are almost five times higher than online classes.

Can adults learn at YHJS?

No, the school is for children only.

Can I enrol at any time?

Yes, applicants are accepted at any time. Please contact us for details.

Is it possible to visit the school before enrolling?

Yes, please contact us if you would like to visit the school.

Do you have a waiting list?

No, we do not have a waiting list.

Do you have an entrance exam?

No, we do not have an entrance exam. As all our lessons are carried out in Japanese, so your child will need to know a sufficient level of Japanese to be able to follow the lessons.

Will the children receive homework?

Yes, students will receive around six hours of homework each week. We recommend doing a little bit each day.

Do you have lunch at the supplementary school?

We don’t provide school lunches.

During break time, should Japanese be spoken?

To improve your speaking and listening skills, all conversation in the school should be in Japanese.

Where should I get my child’s textbooks?

If you are coming from Japan, you can obtain the textbooks from Japan Overseas Educational Services Once you have enrolled, we will confirm what textbooks you will need.

Do I need a uniform or a special school bag?

There is no uniform or designated bag for school.

Is there a place to park our car?

There is a free car park.

Is there a waiting area for parents?

Yes, we provide a large room with seating where parents can wait for their children.

Are there any duties for the parents? 

Our school is run by parents, and this involves lots of different tasks. This ranges from weekly jobs, such as taking photocopies and organising snacks, to running school events such as Sports Day and the Christmas Party. The biggest responsibility is taking running the school as part of the school committee. The committee consists of three parents and changes every year. The parents of all children joining YHJS will need to take a turn running the school.

Enrol at YHJS

If you would like to enrol your child at the Yorkshire and Humberside Japanese School, please complete the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.